[Simh] Fwd: Assembler programming under Unix - was VAX/VMS

Kevin Handy khandy21yo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:30:40 EST 2016

Any more, with the optimizing compilers we have today, it doesn't make much
sense to use machine language for most program development.
1. The compilers often produce better code that the average programmer
would produce, and often better than a good one would produce. The
optimizer doesn't care about making readable code, so it can do aggressive
things to the code that a human wouldn't wnt to. LLVM is even working with
optimizations across compilation units.
2. Portability issues. If you write in machine language on a VAX/VMS, that
is all it will run on. Porting it to VAX/Unix
 might be possible, put with the differing system interfaces, not easy.
3. Ease of development. Developing in a higher level language is usually
faster than in a machine language environment. It is also often easier for
others to quickly comprehend. One line in high level code, "a=b*c+d*e",
verses numerous lines of assembly code.
4. What do you do if your platform suddenly gets new opcodes. This happened
with the Alpha, Intel x86, and many others. Update your code, or leave it
the same so it can still run on older hardware?

There are some places where hand-coded machine code is useful, but its use
isn't as necessary as it used to be. It can be interesting to know some of
the details.