[Simh] EXT :Re: simh on RaspBerry Pi

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Mon Feb 15 14:17:47 EST 2016

On 15-Feb-16 14:12, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
> This is not a standards issue. The SIMH FAQ has a more detailed write-up of wireless Ethernet.
>
> Wireless Ethernet routers are allowed to do ANYTHING they want to conserve wireless bandwidth.
> Almost ALL wireless network card drivers and routers drop non-IP packets to conserve bandwidth, and reject "unregistered" MAC addresses.
> Very few wireless devices will work with non-IP protocols (DECNET IV, LAT, Appletalk, etc.)  unless the device has bridge mode enabled and supports non-IP protocols in bridge mode.
>
> Regarding your (later) question of LAN bridges: It's the same as the LAT question. The device either has to support bridge mode, or you have to fake it by tunneling it over the wireless IP connection.
>
> Dave

Yup, tunneling can work.  But you have to create the other endpoint
somewhere.  LAT is latency-sensitive.

I should have mentioned that there ARE a few wireless cards that can do
promiscuous receive (most can't) for network monitoring.  They're
horrendously expensive.  And you hit the issues Dave mentioned.

Of course, if you have the right hardware & hack OpenWRT (or the like)
for the other end, as I said, anything is *possible*.

But you have to decide if it's worth the effort.