[Simh] simh on RaspBerry Pi

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:09:03 EST 2016

On 2/15/16 8:01 AM, Wilm Boerhout wrote:
> Will Senn schreef op 15-2-2016 om 14:26
>
> [snip]
>
>> Are you documenting the setup process for your endeavors, or just
>> blogging about the result? I think it would be interesting to see how
>> you clustered those Pi Vaxen as much as to know it was possible. I've
>> got a few Pi around looking for something to cluster around...
> There are three parts to a successful setup:
>
> 1. Since each Pi has only one Ethernet interface, make sure you use a
>    wired connection (wireless isn't real Ethernet) and the tun/tap
>    setup on the Raspbian Linux host. This is well documented in the
>    github simh docs. This will leave you with access to your LAN
>    from/to the Linux host, as well as a "separate" tap0 device for the
>    VAX/VMS guest.
> 2. Build your VAX of choice. My three cluster members are a VAXserver
>    3900, a MicroVAX 3900 (same "vax" build for simh) and a 16MB
>    MicroVAX II ("microvax2" build). The latter because I wanted to see
>    whether the MicroVAX II could be configured with TCP/IP at all. The
>    build process and its options are -again- well documented in the
>    simh docs.
> 3. Deploy your VMS OS, configure DECnet and TCP/IP and use the
>    CLUSTER_CONFIG DCL command procedure to first create the cluster
>    "master", and then add the satellites. CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM is sort of
>    self-documenting.
>
> I used the V4.0 standard github sources to build, and VAX/VMS V7.3 to
> deploy the cluster. Some Pi's run Raspbian Wheezy, some run Jessie. It
> varies along with my mood and the phase of the moon.
>
> As soon as I get home again (may be in a few days), I can post the
> simh ini file(s), my /etc/rc.local which implements the tun/tap stuff,
> as well as VMS MODPARAMS.DAT. That is as far as I will go in
> documenting. Making it work and stumbling along was part of the fun.
> It is my way to teach myself Linux. VMS, I know of old.
>
> /Wilm

Thanks. I look forward to seeing the .ini's and rc.local, etc. I come at
it the other way around. I know Linux/Mac OS X/FreeBSD quite well, but
know next to nothing about VMS (I know a bit about VAX because of its
relationship to PDP-11, which I've been studying pretty relentlessly). I
have a hobbyist license for OpenVMS, but I'm unclear if that's the same
OS you are referring to?

Regards,
Will