[Simh] simh on RaspBerry Pi

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 09:01:34 EST 2016

Will Senn schreef op 15-2-2016 om 14:26

[snip]

> Are you documenting the setup process for your endeavors, or just
> blogging about the result? I think it would be interesting to see how
> you clustered those Pi Vaxen as much as to know it was possible. I've
> got a few Pi around looking for something to cluster around...
There are three parts to a successful setup:

 1. Since each Pi has only one Ethernet interface, make sure you use a
    wired connection (wireless isn't real Ethernet) and the tun/tap
    setup on the Raspbian Linux host. This is well documented in the
    github simh docs. This will leave you with access to your LAN
    from/to the Linux host, as well as a "separate" tap0 device for the
    VAX/VMS guest.
 2. Build your VAX of choice. My three cluster members are a VAXserver
    3900, a MicroVAX 3900 (same "vax" build for simh) and a 16MB
    MicroVAX II ("microvax2" build). The latter because I wanted to see
    whether the MicroVAX II could be configured with TCP/IP at all. The
    build process and its options are -again- well documented in the
    simh docs.
 3. Deploy your VMS OS, configure DECnet and TCP/IP and use the
    CLUSTER_CONFIG DCL command procedure to first create the cluster
    "master", and then add the satellites. CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM is sort of
    self-documenting.

I used the V4.0 standard github sources to build, and VAX/VMS V7.3 to
deploy the cluster. Some Pi's run Raspbian Wheezy, some run Jessie. It
varies along with my mood and the phase of the moon.

As soon as I get home again (may be in a few days), I can post the simh
ini file(s), my /etc/rc.local which implements the tun/tap stuff, as
well as VMS MODPARAMS.DAT. That is as far as I will go in documenting.
Making it work and stumbling along was part of the fun. It is my way to
teach myself Linux. VMS, I know of old.

/Wilm