[Simh] Tell me about console terminals and related things

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Sun Feb 14 15:11:15 EST 2016

Hi All,

So as I delve into VMS and related concepts, I’ve come across mention of console terminals and “operator’s consoles.”
I gather that SIMH simulates one of these when the machine starts up, but I’m a bit less clear on how this compares to the real hardware.
When the VAX boots, it obviously has a prompt for boot options and such. Would this be displayed on, say, a VT100 somewhere?
I gather SIMH itself doesn’t do much terminal emulation, so it might be worthwhile sending the console output to another emulator which could handle the keyboard and such.

I guess this depends quite a bit on the OS and machine in question too. :)