[Simh] vax simh and loading file

Wilm Boerhout wboerhout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 07:04:21 EST 2016

For ftp, you need to load licenses for VAX and UCX first. Catch-22.

There are two ways to load the initial set of licenses. I have used them
both.

1. Start simh, boot your VAX, connect to the VAX OPA0 console terminal,
    start a EDIT /TPU session and paste from your host terminal.
2. The MicroVAX 3900 supports a CR11 card reader. When you attach an
    ASCII text file to the CR device, the file will be submitted to the
    SYS$BATCH queue for processing. I found that installing the INPSMB
    image with CMKRNL privs is necessary to submit jobs under the SYSTEM
    account. Details below.

*simh ini file snippet:*

; file transfer
set cr enable
set cr autoeof
att -a cr /mnt/nas/xfer.txt
set cr translation=029
sho cr

Note that the xfer.txt file resides on the NAS that is accessible to my
Linux simh host. See simh vax.doc for cr details.

*"Card" deck contents:*

$JOB SYSTEM /NOPRINT /KEEP /NAME=WilmTest
$PASSWORD xxxxxxx
$! some ASCII text
$ show time
$EOJ

Note that the password is in plain text. Keep that card safely in your
breast pocket and insert it into the deck at the latest moment!

/Wilm