[Simh] Panic while attempting to boot a NetBSD ISO

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Sun Feb 7 14:30:28 EST 2016

On 7 February 2016 at 17:53, Rhialto <rhialto at falu.nl> wrote:
> On Sun 07 Feb 2016 at 12:41:19 -0500, Gregg Levine wrote:
>> In this case it was to try and boot an image
>> of 5.1.3 and it worked. I'm going to need to spend more time on this.
>
> I think there may have some NetBSD versions that did not boot on all VAX
> models. This was due to some confusion about how VMB and/or boot ROMs
> would treat boot sectors.
>
> See the comments in VAX/VMB-exe-Patch.com for some information on that.

Definitely - there was a time when it booted fine on VAXstation 4000
and similar but not so much on older machines which really used VMB (I
was the cause of one such breakage when I tried bumping the default
disklabel partitions to 16), but all that was cleared up before 7.0

Gregg - have you tried the stock NetBSD-7 iso from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-7.0/images/ ?

David