[Simh] OSs with accessible documentation

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 01:21:33 EST 2016

I actually started to put together a toolchain to OCR the bitsavers
documentation a few days ago.  I'm not sure why Kevin mentioned MUMPS, but
since MUMPS-11, the precursor to DSM-11 and VAX-11 DSM, was my first
introduction to DEC kit, I was using the PDP-15 MUMPS manual as my test
subject.

I've got a workable, but not optimal tool chain that will produce PDFs with
both page scanned images and embedded OCR'd text.  Due to the nature of
OCR, it'll be more helpful for search-ability than accessibility, but it
will benefit both. The main problem right now is the size of the resulting
PDFs.  The tiny bitonal G4 fax encoded page images get blown up to
ginormous proportions and I haven't found the right magic sequence to get
the pdfimages CCITT encoded files wrapped into a TIFF file (or multiple
files).

Tom