[Simh] OSs with accessible documentation

Kevin Handy khandy21yo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:19:56 EST 2016

I believe that VMS is probable the only one of DEC's Operating Systems that
is likely to have machine readable documentation (Both PDF and HTML iirc.).

All of the other OSs were mostly out of production by the time that HTML
and PDF's became popular, and I don't believe that DEC ever gave away their
documentation in source form.

Non-DEC OS's, such as Unix, are more likely to have such documentation
available. But Unix is also available for the VAX, which doesn't have the
same memory limits as the PDP11 does and was under development more
recently, so that might be more interesting to work on (NetBSD for example).

I'm not sure how MUMPS documentation was, or if that OS is even available
to hobbyest usage.

I think there was also a PDP11 version of a Pascal OS (??name forgotten at
the moment), and several FORTH systems too.