[Simh] OSs with accessible documentation

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Feb 5 18:10:08 EST 2016

Some of the PDFs on bitsavers are searchable.  It would be a good
project to OCR the rest into searchable pdfs - as that also means that
the text can be extracted.   OCR is getting good enough (finally) that
it's feasible.  I'm sure that they'd be accepted back into bitsavers  -
searchable is good for everyone.

For the Bookreader stuff - I wrote code to navigate it with my Braille
workstations, but it won't  work on other hardware.
Much of the later releases of VMS also shipped a PC format CD that can
be read with a screen reader.  In the next few months, I'll be
contributing a large collection of those to CHM.

Before I wrote that, I was able to get some of the docs in text format
from the tech writers; sadly that option no longer exists.

Most of the TOPS documentation was originally done in Runoff, later DEC
Standard Runoff.  Sources are, I think, on the later tapes.  That's
easy to turn into readable text files.  Unfortunately, by the end I
think they were converted to VAX Document & shipped as postscript.
There's always ps2text, but the quality is variable to bad.