[Simh] OSs with accessible documentation

Zachary Kline zkline at speedpost.net
Fri Feb 5 17:50:21 EST 2016

Hi All,

So the recent RSTS/E discussion has got me wondering what OS’s I might be able to run under SIMH with readable documentation. As a totally blind enthusiast I can’t really use the Bitsavers collection without manually running OCR on the PDFs, a tedious and error-prone process.
I’m aware VMS is recent enough to have a lot of its documentation available in an electronic format, but I’m curious if there’s anything else out there.
I’ve recently downloaded several .tap files for RSTS and Tops-20, for instance, but have been running into trouble when booting them.
I guess I’m just curious how a lot of these systems were installed.

Has any work been done on retyping some of the documentation?
Thanks much,
Zack.