[Simh] Reference performance benchmarks

khandy21yo khandy21yo at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 16:29:28 EST 2016

Is your speed problem limited to disk access, or is it also CPU related? Running in a browser might mean that the disk access is going through the network, which can slow it down excessively, There are several bottlenecks on a system, like slow disks, that don't effect other aspects, like instruction speed, it's important to determine exactly where the speed limits exists.CPU instruction speed, excessive swapping, disk bandwidth, terminal baud water, . .. They can all be a problem, and it can be more than one at a time.

Sent from my Galaxy TabĀ® A
-------- Original message --------From: Jacob Goense <dugo at xs4all.nl> Date: 12/12/16  12:13 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: simh at trailing-edge.com Subject: [Simh] Reference performance benchmarks
I'm running simh in rather tight corners. Mostly VAX/780 and PDP-11/70
with V6 or BSD. Simh runs in a browser, or, I have (too) many of them
on underpowered Asus Eee PC's. Any tips on how I can check if I have
taken things too far? Like minimum values to look for in SHOW CLOCK,
or any tools I can run that can be referenced against same on real kit.

I run into the same question on the I/O end. During the installation
of v6 I can do dd if=/dev/mt0 of=/dev/rk1 bs=2048 count=1000 skip=1025
and it is done in a second on machine that is doing nothing else. With
simh running in a browser on a small busy machine it can take up to an
hour. I have no idea how to gauge how far this is off from real kit.