[Simh] Ultrix 4.0 and DEQNA-LOCK

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Aug 30 12:04:46 EDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:13 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

> Is a tape required for DECnet on 4.5 or is the Ultrix/VAX cd I have
> likely to have it in a subfolder?  That's the reason I was running 4.0.

Hmmmmm - ​I don't remember and have long ago lost/gave away any
distribution media I might have from those days.   IIRC (which is not clear
I will), DECnet was distributed as a layered product, so I think it would
be in a separate directory, may be on a companion CD.   Pathworks certainly
was, and as I recall, Pathworks required DECnet.

I have to believe we put as much as we could on the master (boot) CD's but
again this is all hazy.   I do remember, the Ultrix format was "special"
and writing the master CD took some special equipment we had in a lab in
ZK03 - i.e reading them on anything other than Ultrix, Tru64 or VMS could
be problematic.   We were also running out of room on them (650M per disk)
and around 4.3, I remember there was some refactoring to make things fit.
But I've forgotten any of the details of the refactoring.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and try to remember some of this stuff,
but I think there is a subcommand in hated setld command that will list the
layered products and maybe even the disk you need.  IIRC the database for
setld is always there and should tell you what is available/where (I'm may
be mixing up how HPUX or DGUX did this --  that's the problem with having
my hand in so many of those systems in those days, features of one get
confused with some of the others).

FWIW:  I still have an Alpha system that at one time was running (I have
not booted it in a few years) but not Ultrix.  I may still have some of the
Ultrix docs​, but I think are in my attic.   I would suggest poking around
bitsavers for the installation guides and look up the details on the setld
command.

Best wishes,
Clem

Clem