[Simh] Way out idea for simh

Ken Cornetet Ken.Cornetet at kimballelectronics.com
Wed Apr 20 11:43:07 EDT 2016

A common theme on this list is how to get files copied between the host and the emulated machines. I have a crazy idea for a simh feature to help in that regard: Add an FTP server to simh that would write to a "universal" file system on a simh block device file (disk, tape, drum)  that the guest OS would have attached. You could fire up your favorite ftp client and copy files into and out of this file system.

Obviously, the guest OS would need to have tools written to read/write this universal file system, but with a simple enough file system, that wouldn't be a huge hurdle. I have to admit, outside of unix and RTE, I have no notion of how many operating systems that run on simh emulated machines allow direct disk access. I am assuming there is a way to do it on most all of them. If not, tape or drum could be an option.

For this "universal" file system, I nominate Hewlett-Packard's LIF. It is simple and well documented. A fixed flat directory at the beginning of the image, fixed size directory entries, and linear space allocation (no allocation tables).

I don't expect it would be trivial to add an FTP server to simh, but it could be handy. Just food for thought.