[Simh] retrieving previous SIMH commits?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 20:56:58 EDT 2016

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 8:41 PM, Jack Rubin <j at ckrubin.us> wrote:
>
> The behavior of SerialDisk, a virtual disk server for the PDP8, changed somewhere with recent versions of SIMH. There was a 'define' problem that Mark cleared up almost immediately this afternoon but the broken behavior persists. The program works with earlier versions of SIMH and fails with the current version. I see the same failure in Raspian on an RPi Model B and Ubuntu on a multicore desktop.
>
> I'd like to try to narrow down the point where the failure began before filing a report. Can I pull earlier commits to try to find the first appearance of the problem?

If you get the current code via git, you can just examine the log to find the IDs of the various checkins, and you can then get any specific version with "git checkout <id>" where <id> is that hex string seen in the log.

I think there are fancy semi-automatic binary search procedures to automate this, but if the number of cases isn't too large then just doing it by hand, and "make" each time, should do the trick.

	paul