[Simh] SIMH VAX on a Kindle

Henry Bent henry.r.bent at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 16:03:59 EDT 2016

On 1 April 2016 at 15:54, Ray Jewhurst <raywjewhurst at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to use the SIMH for the Android (which cost me about $13) but now
> that I have Lollipop.  It doesn't work anymore.  I know I could hack my
> tablet but it's connected through a Cell service provider so I'd rather
> not.  I know the terminal I used Better Terminal Emulator Pro which was
> required for the port.
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 3:48 PM, Henry Bent <henry.r.bent at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I ended up with a spare Kindle Touch and didn't need an ebook reader, so
>> I decided it might make a nice platform for SIMH.  After jailbreaking and
>> rooting the Kindle, it's just Linux (and X11 for the Kindle interface) so
>> cross-compiling SIMH was easy.  Networking over wifi obviously doesn't work
>> (as recently discussed here) but networking over USB does, so it's tethered
>> to a server for connection sharing.  The performance is pretty good for
>> such a small device.  It's about equivalent to a real VAX 4000/200, so
>> approximately 5 VUP.  Certainly more than fast enough for 4.2BSD on a
>> simulated 11/780!  Next step is to get some sort of console working - right
>> now there's no way that I have found to display console output on the
>> screen.
>>
>> -Henry

Oh, somebody made SIMH a paid app?  That's no fun... In theory it should be
easy enough to cross-compile binaries using the Android NDK.  I'll look
into it at some point when I have a little bit of time.  Of course
networking isn't going to work over wireless, but I suppose there's still
plenty to do without it.

-Henry