[Simh] fprint_sym and parse_sym limitation

Kevin Handy khandy21yo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 16:51:56 EDT 2015

Doxygen has some limitations, it is more of a reference than a tutorial for
example, but it does have a lot of useful features when done properly.
- It generates LaTeX, HTML, and RTF from the sources, and other formats are
available from these (like ps and pdf).
- If you copy one source file as the basis for annother device for ecample,
the documentation is already mostly done for you.
- The documentation keeps up with the source better than seperate files.
Software developers never seem to update the documentation unless it's
staring them in the face as they make their changes.
- References to structures in a parameter list are automatically cross
linked.

As documentation for how to write code, it isn't that great because it's
mostly just a list of available functions, but does give you several views
of what edists. including links to the source code.

I don't think it works as the sole source of documentation, but it does
provide a lot of useful information even if you don't have any comments
coded in.

(I just tried playing with it) As a first try at using it. just install
doxygen (and graphviz for extra credit), type 'doxygen -g' ay the top level
simh directory, edit the generated 'Doxygen' configuration file, and list
all of the subdirectories under the 'INPUT' option (along with a '.' for
the top level directory), and then run 'doxygen'. Point your browser to
'./html/index.html' and brouse around. With the Graphviz, you also get
relationship diagrams for structures.