[Simh] fprint_sym and parse_sym limitation

Tom Morris tfmorris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:24:16 EDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm <
Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:

> On Monday, September 14, 2015 at 6:20 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>
> > ...  Or is there another way to submit
> > work?
>
> If you are already a git user, then working directly from the github
> repository and submitting pull requests is the way to go.  Non git users
> can merely send me (mark at infocomm.com) complete changed files along with
> a description (as verbose as you want) of what and/or why changes were
> made.  I'll commit the changes to the repo on your behalf.

I'd strongly encourage everyone who wants to contribute to SIMH to get a
Github account, because it makes the patch & review workflow much easier
and provides you with permanent attribution for your changes.  Git is just
another version control system and isn't that difficult to learn if you
already know one (or more).  Additionally, simple edits, like fixing typos
in a README, can be easily done through the online editor on the web site
which will automatically generate a patch and associated pull request for
the repository owners (ie Mark) to review.

Try it, you'll like it!

Tom

p.s. Unfortunately, the core SIMH documentation is in Microsoft Word .doc
format which is a binary format that doesn't play well with version control
systems, in addition to its other downsides.  Has there been any
consideration to converting it to RST or some other text-based markup
language which would work well with git/Github?  Even .docx instead of .doc
would be a step forward.  It's not only more modern, so likely to be
supported longer, but it would also allow Github-based diff and preview
using the pandoc <http://pandoc.org/>-based solution describe here:
http://blog.martinfenner.org/2014/08/25/using-microsoft-word-with-git/