[Simh] fprint_sym and parse_sym limitation

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 14:01:14 EDT 2015

As currently defined, fprint_sym and parse_sym are invoked strangely when processing a register value.  From looking at the code, I can see that for this case, the "addr" argument is set to the register radix, and SIM_SW_REG is set in the switches word.

It may be desirable to format or parse values differently for different registers.  As it stands, that's not possible because the function can't tell which register it's formatting.  I tried setting some of the registers to "decimal" as a way to get addr to be 10 instead of 8.  That works until someone says "e -d reg" because the mainline sees the -d and concludes it should pass 10 in addr.

Ideally one of the argments, for the register case, should point to the REG entry for the register in question.

	paul