[Simh] VMS/VDE: Almost there

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Oct 7 13:16:28 EDT 2015

On 2015-10-07 18:43, John Forecast wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2015, at 9:56 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> DECNET is available under RSX-11M and RSTS/E on PDP-11s, Tops-10 and TOPS-20
>>> on PDP-10s, and under VMS (and possibly Ultrix, I don't remember for certain)
>>> on VAXen, and on VMS follow-on systems.  It is as far as possible agnostic
>>> about what kind of system it was running on or connecting to.
>>
>> DECnet/Ultrix, yes.  There is also a limited DECnet for RT-11, and for DOS.  And VAXELAN.  And possibly IAS, I don't remember that one for sure.
>>
> 	Both IAS and RSX-11D (essentially the same code) were Phase II only. There was also a
> 	Phase II implementation for OS/8 but I seem to remember it being cancelled fairly early
> 	in the Phase II schedule.

I thought IAS and -11D made it to phase III, but I can't find any
evidence either way now that I'm looking.

I have DECNET-8. It's not for OS/8 but for RTS-8. But yes, it is phase
II. I have never tried it, though. So I don't know how/if it actually
works, and I don't have any phase II or phase III nodes to test against.

	Johnny