[Simh] MicroVax 3900 Networking on a Macbook Air

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Sun Oct 4 08:40:46 EDT 2015

On Saturday, October 3, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Zachary Kline wrote:
> Thanks for these tips. I’m stuck trying to get SIMH to build with VDE support.
> I just installed it manually, and it ended up in /usr/local.
> SIMH doesn’t seem to see /usr/local/lib as a valid library path. I’ve tried
> “make LPATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib,” but that doesn’t seem to have any
> impact at all.
> I’m trying to follow the makefile logic and finding it a bit dense. It looks like it
> *should* work, but I’m just getting Tun/Tap and PCAP.

Well, the 0readme_ethernet.txt clearly says that on OS X the MacPorts
net/vde2 should be used.

The deeper point here is that, in general, we support vendor supplied
package install locations (and configurations) which, if possible, we try to
determine dynamically from local tools.  The thinking here is that the vendor
supplied packages have been configured and tested by a very wide audience
and thus work with many cases, where a personally built package may have
any number of subtle configuration issues which we're not in the business
of troubleshooting.

Historically /usr/local has always been the default destination for personally
built packages and as such is exactly why it is avoided since the goal is to
avoid using personally built packages.

On OS X, some dependent components are provided by Apple, and anything
else is referenced from where MacPorts drops things.

Folks who build dependent packages and install them on their own in
their 'personally preferred' locations get to make 'personal adjustments'
to the makefile, and they get to deal with things which don't work for
them but work fine for others.  Real negative experiences have driven this
philosophy.

In the early simh days, we needed some functionality in libpcap which was
in the www.tcpdump.org source tree but hadn't made it to any of the vendor
OS platforms.  This was the only external package any simh simulator needed.
We forced folks to locally build libpcap and it worked well for many folks
(especially those who built packages regularly), but there were support issues.
These support issues got worse as time went on and the set of simh users were
mostly ones coming back to use the VAX or PDP11 simulators for nostalgic
reasons of their early school or work days and may not have had any familiarity
with locally building open source packages.   By the time these support problems
started the needed functionality was widely distributed in all popular host
systems, so  things were changed to move to use vendor supplied libpcap and
the screwy user cases disappeared.  As new functionality has been added to
simh which have leveraged other external packages, the philosophy of using
vendor supplied packages has continued to be most successful.

- Mark