[Simh] MicroVax 3900 Networking on a Macbook Air

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Sat Oct 3 12:00:11 EDT 2015

> El 3 oct 2015, a les 17:55, Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm <Mark at infocomm.com> va escriure:
>
> Hi Jordi,
>
> Thanks for the info.  I'm wondering:  Can VDE be configured to provide NAT based functionality?  Similar to how VirtualBox networking can select bridged mode or NAT mode???
>
> - Mark

Not, as far as I know. VDE works at level 2, and has no idea about IP addressing.

Actually, VDE does not even provide bridging support: that has to be provided by the operating system. VDE just builds a virtual switch, which can be attached to other VDE switches (local or remote) using “virtual plugs”. One of those plugs (vde_plug2tap) links the virtual switch to a TAP interface, and that interface has to be managed by the host operating system, either bridging it with real, physical interfaces, or doing IP forwarding.