[Simh] DG Nova booting from another file or "device"?

Dell Setzer dsetzer at panix.com
Sat Nov 14 08:23:16 EST 2015

It's actually pretty easy. After booting RDOS, press ^E to return to the
sim> prompt. Then, attach a host file to the MTA0 unit. If you give a host
filename that doesn't yet exist, SIMH will create an empty tape file and
attach it to MTA0:

sim> attach mta0 testtape.tap
MTA: creating new file
sim>

Then, give the simh G command to return to RDOS and init/f the MT0 tape
unit. Note that at the sim> prompt, the unit is called "MTA0" (or MTA1,
MTA2, etc), while in RDOS the unit is called "MT0" (or MT1, MT2, etc):

sim> g
<presss return to get the RDOS prompt again>
init/f mt0
CONFIRM? <press Y to confirm>

Now you can dump or copy files to the MT0 device:
dump/v mt0:0 -.sr
   LITMACS.SR
   OSID.SR
   NSID.SR
   PARS.SR
   ALMSPD.SR
   <etc.>
dump/v mt0:1 -.sv
   BURST.SV
   INITIALIZE.SV
   SEDIT.SV
   MACXR.SV
   EDIT.SV
   <etc.>
release mt0

After releaseing the tape, press ^E again to get to the sim> prompt and
detach the tape file:
^E
sim> detach mta0
sim>
Now you can inspect the testtape.tap tape image.

Attaching an existing tape file is similar, except that at the RDOS prompt
you'd do INIT rather than INIT/F:

sim> attach mta0 testtape.tap
sim> g
init mt0