[Simh] DG Nova booting from another file or "device"?

Microtech Dart microtechdart at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 04:36:51 EST 2015

Hi, I am completely new here, although I recognize the names of several who
post here.

I am trying to resurrect an extinct Microtech machine from 1982, which
likely used the Point 4 processor, and the SimH DG Nova simulator *should*
be compatible with the Point 4.

I'm running the NOVA simulator now, with:

NOVA simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: 3be5125d
sim> ATTACH DKP0 *rdos_d31.dsk*
sim> set tti dasher
sim> boot DKP0

I'm teaching myself RDOS now with the RDOS_Command_Line_Interpreter Manual.
<http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dg/software/rdos/093-000109-01_RDOS_Command_Line_Interpreter.pdf>

Would anybody here be able to suggest some methods by which I could
*create* a magnetic tape device on this SimH Nova simulator, and how I
might write some files to that?

I think that would be an excellent experiment for me to attempt.  Then I
can inspect the binary file in a hex editor, and see what it looks like,
then compare to the binaries I've pulled off my Microtech/Point 4 tapes.

--

Thanks,
-AJ