[Simh] terminal multiplexers

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Nov 12 16:10:13 EST 2015

On 2015-11-12 14:59, Eric Smith wrote:
> Gee, Johnny .. don't be so negative.

:-)

> Just kidding!

To be honest, I never though of emulated serial lines in simh being
looked at as a terminal server. I don't think it's a correct way of
looking at it, but I realize it is a reasonable way to think of it.

> But seriously, this is all such a "blast from the past" .. I didn't
> start as early as many of you guys, but I certainly remember building
> many, many servers by getting the machine up far enough that it would
> run a serial port, then going back to my desk, "telnet-ing" in through
> an Annex or some other terminal server, and building the thing the
> rest of the way .. installing the OS, configuring the network, adding
> storage .. everything.

Yeah. I hardly ever did that myself, but it's a reasonable approach.
However, in this case you actually had a terminal server in between
which converted between the telnet datastream and an actual serial port.

I don't think what simh is doing is exactly comparable. But I don't
really feel a need to argue about it either.
Now I know what you are talking about. Please continue.

	Johnny