[Simh] DECnet-Ultrix

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Thu May 7 15:12:41 EDT 2015

As one of the original developers of DECnet-Ultrix v1.0, I thought it might be interesting to bring up some of the early versions of the code based on the tape images available on Bitsavers. Unfortunately, the only one that would install was v4.0 which requires a License PAK to allow it to talk on the network - not really what I wanted.

The 2.x images just reported that there were no subsets available for installation on the tape. With a bit of work I was able to construct new tapes (the old tapes were missing a tape mark and these was some directory corruption), complete an installation and verify that at least local loopback works correctly. I also fixed the 1.1 tape image but it’s not much use unless there’s an Ultrix 1.2 base installation out there somewhere.

I sent  note to Al along with the updated files.

  John.