[Simh] Regarding "Cutler THE father of VMS" myth

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Wed Mar 4 23:23:58 EST 2015

From: Sergey Oboguev <oboguev at yahoo.com> To: Dennis Boone
<drb at msu.edu>, SIMH <simh at trailing-edge.com> Subject: Re:
[Simh] Regarding "Cutler THE father of VMS" myth Message-ID:
<1425509240.5193.YahooMailNeo at web184302.mail.ne1.yahoo.com>
> VMS  team had to make design choices within the constraints of the state of
> compiler technology, hardware technology/costs, and the requirements of
> market competitiveness.
>
> Looking back, it is very clear that VMS designers went to extreme lengths
> to ensure a system runnable very efficiently on a resource-constrained
> hardware.

Yes, we had a /780 with only 256 KB of memory.  One Friday
afternoon after the service
window would have been closed by the time somebody could get
out to our
location, a memory board died.  I diagnosed the problem, and
pulled one of the
memory boards.  Wrong one, pulled the other one, and the
machine came back
up.  One of our users had a BIG batch job to run over the
weekend, a huge
finite element simulation.  Well, amazingly it ran on 128 KB
of memory!

Jon