[Simh] Getting rsxs to run on the pdp11 emulator

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 13:05:50 EST 2015

On 3 March 2015 at 12:25, Rhialto <rhialto at falu.nl> wrote:
> Ah, with a quick looks I see 2 differences: you use a different tape
> device (I used ms1: -- I had the 2 tapes mounted at the same time), and
> you specify csr and vector numbers. I'll try later which of the two
> makes the difference.

Yeah, that is a problem that is with the standalone RSX-11/M boot
tape. It only allows you to define one input device and one output
device. So you have to swap tapes no matter what the case may be.

It works with the TM, TS, TU, and TQ tape drives. I also specificed
the CSR and vector because I have the three MASSBUS setup (running an
11/70 with two RM03, two TE16, and two RS04), and the CSR and vector
of the RM03/"DR"-type drives is incorrect.

> Part of my config:
>
> attach tm0 BB-J0830-01.M01_RSX11M+_V4.6_1999.tap
> attach tm1 BB-J0830-01.L01_RSX11M+_V4.6_BRU_1999.tap

My simulator config is big, and somewhat redundant, I actually have
the installation phase and its tape swap automated with:
SET TU0 LOCK
ATTACH TU0 TAP\BB-J0830-01.M01_RSX11M+_V4.6_1999.tap
BOOT TU0
ATTACH TU0 TAP\BB-J0830-01.L01_RSX11M+_V4.6_BRU_1999.tap
CONTINUE
I have the tapes in a subfolder called "TAP". And I swap the tapes
between drives after the standalone boot tape has booted by just
hitting Ctrl+E just once.

> and I found some logs of what happened for me before
> (with a bit of cut and paste to insert a recent output of /dev).
>
> $ ./pdp11 rsx.ini
>
> PDP-11 simulator V4.0-0 Beta        git commit id: af713b78
> Disabling XQ
> sim> boot tm
>

> RSX-11M/RSX-11M-PLUS Standalone Copy System V04
>

> RSX-11M/RSX-11M-PLUS Standalone Configuration and Disk Sizing Program
>
> Valid switches are:
>         /CSR=nnnnnn to change the default device CSR
>         /VEC=nnn to change the default device vector
>         /FOR=n to change the default magtape formatter number
>         /DEV to list all default device CSR and vectors
>

> Enter first device: /dev
>
> Device      CSR     Vector   CSR Status
> ------     ------   ------   ----------
> DB         176700    254     Not Present
> DK         177404    220     Not Present
> DL         174400    160     Not Present
> DM         177440    210     Not Present
> DP         176714    300     Not Present
> DR         176300    150     Not Present
> DU         172150    154     Present
> MM FOR=0   172440    330     Not Present
> MS         172522    224     Present
> MT         160000    320     Not Present
> MU         174500    260     Not Present
>
> Enter first device: ms1:
>
> Enter second device: du0:
>
> Hit RETURN and enter date and time as 'TIM HH:MM MM/DD/YY'
>
>>run bru
>>
> BRU>ms1: du0:
> BRU -- *WARNING* -- Tape label error
> I/O error code -3
>
> BRU -- *WARNING* -- Volume not a backup tape
>
> BRU -- *WARNING* -- Rewind error
> I/O error code -3
>
> BRU - Mount Tape 1 on MS1:

Yeah, you need to include the /MAXIMUM: and /HEADERS: fields in the
BRU command. And I'm 99% sure that if you try to tell the standalone
system to access as an input device, the device it wasn't booted from,
it'll do that. Not that I've tested it.

I've attached a log file using the MS: and DU: type devices. On an
11/93 system just to also prove that QBUS works fine. It also doesn't
use the /CSR or /VEC switches when defining the devices at the start,
as I don't have CSR and vector "issues."

For those who don't want to page through the PDF of the SYSGEN manual,
the values needed for the /MAX and /HEAD switches are:
+----+-----+-----+
| DEV| MAX |HEAD |
+----+-----+-----+
|RA60|24617|12308|
|RA70|34180|25593|
|RA80|14629| 7314|
|RA81|54815|51699|
|RA82|65500|51966|
|RA90|65500|65495|
|RC25| 3130| 1565|
|RD31| 2558|10236|
|RD32| 5117|20471|
|RD52| 3719| 1859|
|RD53| 8529| 4264|
|RD54|19143| 9571|
|RK07| 3308| 1654|
|RM03| 8099| 4049|
|RM05|30781|25593|
|RM80|14923| 7461|
|RP04|10567| 5283|
|RP06|20956|10478|
(You'll want to copy and paste that into something monospaced.)

Cheers,
Christian

--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove