[Simh] C64 and C128

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jun 30 22:39:02 EDT 2015

On 2015-07-01 04:13, Bill Cunningham wrote:
> [...]

But you are conflating many different things here.

If we start with something like the Z80, the memory address is 16 bits,
while the data bus holds 8 bits. The basic CPU register size is 8 bits,
but you have native instructions that also handle 16 bit data, and
registers can be used in pairs, to have 16-bit CPU registers. And
addresses are always expressed as 16-bit quantities.

The 6502 is similar to the Z80, but some addresses are sortof only
expressed as 8-nit quantities, and I'm not sure you have any 16 bit
registers in there that are for generic use, nor any native 16-bit
instructions/operations.

A modern CPU is no easier. You might have 48 address bits on the
physical address bus. 256 bits on the physical data bus. The virtual
address is 64 bits, and the CPU have instructions that can work on 8,
16, 32, 64 and possibly also larger data sizes. The registers normally
holds 64 bits, though, and addresses are normally expressed as 64-bit.

	Johnny