[Simh] Radial Serial Protocol

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Sat Jun 27 21:41:16 EDT 2015

Radial Serial Protocol was the brainchild of Eric Peters in the DEC
Research Group, who later went on to found Avid, the video editing
company. It was intended to be a "junior brother" of MSCP. The
resemblance is most obvious in the use of command/response packets,
rather than registers (or pseudo-registers) for programming. However,
the two protocols were developed in parallel, by independent groups.
MSCP was hammered out by the DEC Storage team doing the HSC50 in
Colorado Springs; RSP went directly from the Research group to TU58
development.

Because I had been the development supervisor for the HSC50 and UDA50
feasibility prototypes in storage advanced development, I consulted with
Eric on RSP before I moved over to microprocessor design in 1978. I
don't have any memos from that era. Various web documents mention that
RSP was unreliable because it lacked low-level flow control, meaning
that there was no way to block character transmission (in either
direction) once it started, even if the receiving UART was being overrun
due to heavy I/O traffic at higher interrupt priorities. MRSP solved
this particular issue.

/Bob Supnik