[Simh] DEC floppy disk interleave questions

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jul 16 14:18:54 EDT 2015

On 2015-07-16 14:40, Hans-Ulrich Hölscher wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> if you want to image your disks and floppies for use with simh, there's
> an easy way to do it.
>
> All you need is a (Micro-)VAX having the appropriate drive(s) running VMS.
>
> MOUNT/FOREIGN <device-name>
>
> COPY/LOG <device-name> yourimagename.img
>
> DISMOUNT <device-name>
>
> Don't worry about the error message at the end of the COPY process -
> that's normal, just that copy discovers the end of media.
>
> You get an image containing all the blocks of your device in logical
> order - VMS will take care of the device details.
>
> I've done it several dozen times, it never failed (except for defective
> media).
>
> And it even works vice versa, I often prepare images within simh and
> transfer them onto my real disks and floppies.
>
> There might be a similar way to do it with a PDP-11, too, e.g. using
> "dd" with ULTRIX-11, or some other tools under RT-11, RSX or RSTS.

Under the latest version of RSX, you copy the disk using VCP, which
creates a virtual image that you can mount under RSX to play around with
later.

In short:
MOU <devicename1>/FOR
VCP CON <filename>/CRE:<type>
MOU <devicename2>/FOR
VCP COPY <devicename1> <devicename2>
DMO <devicename1>
DMO <devicename2>
VCP DIS <devicename2>

devicename1 being your physical device, and devicename2 the virtual
device created by the VCP CON command.

	Jonhny