[Simh] Off topic: ULTRIX question

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.ch
Mon Jul 13 18:43:59 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 06:10:25PM +0000, lists at openmailbox.org wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:04:43 -0500
> Gary Lee Phillips <tivo.overo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I guess I didn't make it clear that I'm looking for UNIX to run on VAX
> > or Alpha hardware platforms.
>
> OpenBSD should work. If you are really curious ask on the mailing lists
> about your specific hardware. I used to be able to recommend NetBSD but
> that was a long time ago. Same thing with FreeBSD. Those two just do not
> run on non-Intel hardware the way they used to. Most of the interested
> developers appear to have gone to greener pastures.

I have FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE running on a SUN V100 right here. Even ZFS works
just fine, if quite slow - but that is the fault of the shitty IDE controller
SUN used (and it isn't helped by the fact that I hooked two 1 TB SATA drives
up to it via SATA-PATA adapters). It is earning its power as one of my live
backup storage systems.

Kind regards,
            Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison