[Simh] Off topic: ULTRIX question

Alexander Schreiber als at thangorodrim.ch
Mon Jul 13 18:29:58 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015 at 10:04:43AM -0500, Gary Lee Phillips wrote:
> As far as I know, Solaris these days only runs on Intel hardware. I've
> tried it there, and it seems to devote way too much processor power
> and memory to making pretty windowed screen displays (a weakness it
> shares with most Linux distributions.)

Hmm? I run Linux on quite a number of different machines (and different
hardware architectures as well). Out of all of those, only four devote
_any_ amount of CPU and RAM to pretty displays: the workstations for my
wife and me and our laptops. Some of the others don't even have the
_hardware_ for showing pretty graphics (like the Edgerouter Lite,
whose only console is a serial one with a Cisco style connector).

> I guess I didn't make it clear that I'm looking for UNIX to run on VAX
> or Alpha hardware platforms.

Try NetBSD. For fun & giggles I ran NetBSD on simh/vax for a while.
Was surprising usable interactively, only disk access and compiles
where slow. NetBSD also is comparatively lightweight among modern
Unix systems.

Kind regards,
           Alex.
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison