[Simh] Off topic: ULTRIX question

lists at openmailbox.org lists at openmailbox.org
Sun Jul 12 09:27:15 EDT 2015

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 14:45:24 +0200
Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

> What is your definition of "real" Unix? Ultrix is sortof a
> BSD-derivative. I hope you understand that.

If so and if the OP was aware of that then OpenBSD would be a good option.

> The problem with Ultrix is not documentation, but the fact that it is
> somewhat different than other Unix clones you might hit upon. Back in
> the 80s this was a more common phenomenon. Every Unix system was
> slightly different.
>
> This is why tools like autoconf got created - because it is a pain in
> the butt to make software that runs on all different styles of Unix.

And it still doesn't work because it's just a theory. No Linux developers
seem to be aware anything besides Linux exists and nobody seems to attempt
to write portable code or actually test it anywhere besides Linux. So those
of us who run "alternative" OS report the autoconf bugs and gccisms when we
try building gnu crapware on other platforms or with other compilers...