[Simh] VAX vectors

Richard legalize at xmission.com
Thu Jul 9 16:53:21 EDT 2015

In article <559EBE8A.2010307 at softjar.se>,
    Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> writes:

> On 2015-07-09 20:26, Eric Smith wrote:
> > Would anyone mind posting a short assembly snippet of a VAX vector
> > instruction used in context?
> >
> > The only complex instruction I've ever used is the Z-80's "LDIR".
>
> Even plain old VAX instructions can be way more complex than LDIR. :-)
> There are instructions for polynomial expansion, case instructions, move
> translated strings, and I can't even remember what else...

VAX was pretty much the last CISC-y architecture that sold in any
sizable units, AFAIK.  x86 has been a CISC-y architecture off-chip that
gets translated into a RISC-y architecture in-chip for quite some time
now.  Lots of instructions are in the "slow path" and are provided only
for backwards compatibility.