[Simh] Running simh vax on amazon EC2

Mark Pizzolato - Info Comm Mark at infocomm.com
Wed Jul 8 17:47:09 EDT 2015

OK.

Consider this:

1)      A standalone vax/vms system won’t usefully need to run DECnet or any cluster stuff.

2)      From what you describe you don’t really need to talk between the simh VAX instance and the host centos system.
Given these, you can configure the VMS environment to ONLY have an IP network stack and avoid DECnet.  This will allow the MAC address of the simulated NIC to retain its default value (as set in the simh configuration file) rather than dynamically changing to a DECnet form MAC address.

You should then be able to set the simh configured MAC address to the same MAC address as the centos system’s network interface you are using.  Given that, you only need to get an additional IP address for use on the simulated system.  I haven’t actually tried this, but it “should” work.

-        Mark