[Simh] Booting the vax750 simulator.

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Jul 7 16:17:06 EDT 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Henry Bent <hbent at oberlin.edu> wrote:

> It appears that it comes with VAX C, which is part of the base Ultrix
> packages.

​That makes sense.   As I said, I'm would suspect it was driven by VAX
Fortran project, but once that was done any of the DEC languages would have
used it since GEM tried to be common for all.

GEM was an amazing project.   N front ends, Y backends.  A compiler suite
designed to last for 20 years.   Needed to span a 16 to 64 bits, parallel,
vectorization etc.    N included Fortran, Bliss, C, C++, Pascal, ​Cobol,
Ada, Basic and I believe others now forgotten.   Y was PDP-11, Vax, MIPS,
Alpha, Itanium, x86, 68K, Prism and again probably others which I have
forgotten.

Clem

BTW:  Intel owns all of the IP and the few members of the GEM team that
have not yet retired (we will lose Mr. Fortran on July 15).   IMO:  Sadly,
guess which compiler technology Intel uses, something developed locally to
benchmark the x86 or GEM?   As Rich Grove (father of GEM) once said to me,
the DEC DNA lives, and has slowly been injected into the Intel technology.