[Simh] LGP-30 testing

Bob Supnik bob at supnik.org
Thu Feb 12 15:56:35 EST 2015

Bill,

Feel free to ask lots of questions here about the LGP-30. Unfortunately,
I don't have a lot of answers. I wrote it almost ten years ago, more to
work out the timing of a disk/drum memory system than anything else. As
the matrix at the end of one of the SimH documents show, it never
received anything more than hand tests.

systemLGP-30 1130780

device

CPUhyy

FPU--y

CIS--y

consolehyy

paper tapeh--

card reader-yy

line printer-yy

clock--y

extra terminal--y

hard disk-yy

fixed disk---

floppy disk--y

drum---

DECtape---

mag tape--y

legend:y = runs operating system or sample program

d = runs diagnostics

h = runs hand-generated test cases

n = untested

- = not applicable

There is a binary loader. According to the sources, the LOAD command
does this:

/* Binary loader - implements a restricted form of subroutine 10.4

    Switches:
          -t, input file is transposed Flex
          -n, no checksums on v commands (10.0 compatible)
         default is ASCII encoded Flex
    Commands (in bits 0-3):
         (blank)         instruction
         +               command (not supported)
         ;               start fill
         /               set modifier
         .               stop and transfer
         ,               hex words
         v               hex fill (checksummed unless -n)
         8               negative instruction
*/

I am not sure how much of the LGP-30 was checked out, either with
diagnostics or available software tapes; it's been a long time. I have
no saved test programs.

/Bob