[Simh] ALTAIR thinko?

Dell Setzer dsetzer at panix.com
Mon Feb 2 14:42:37 EST 2015

As I remember, MITS mostly used octal notation for the ALTAIR 8800. The
front panel switches and lights are divided into 3-bit rather than 4-bit
groups (there's a photo on Wikipedia that shows this pretty clearly). And
most of the 8800's docs use octal notation. So, I'm guessing that the
author of the Simh emulator was probably just following that convention.
The 8080-based Heathkit H8 also used octal notation. Probably folks back
then were used to octal from having worked on minicomputers (like DG or
DEC).

On the other hand, the 6800-based MITS ALTAIR 680b (one of which I
actually own and am looking at as I write this) has its switches and
lights in 4-bit groups, and the docs use hex notation. Go figure.

...dell

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015, Gregg Levine wrote:

> Hello!
Would the Octal reference for $FF be used because one of the authors
of emulator would be more familiar with those terms from working with
the one for the PDP-11?

I've seen the crowd courtesy the VCF and have a box here who's waiting
to be restored.

Oddly enough I came within a big something-else to own one (an Altair
or IMSAI or the Heathkit version) a long time ago.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com