[Simh] Multiple telnet ports in SimH to RSTS/E 9.6

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Thu Dec 31 17:03:50 EST 2015

On 31-Dec-15 15:53, Paul Koning wrote:
>> On Dec 31, 2015, at 3:42 PM, Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:

>>> First, I should say that my knowledge of RSTS/E is limited to a half day of
>>> trying it out. I appreciate your telling me that you don't know anything about
>>> this particular device either. It may seem insignificant, but it helps me
>>> categorize things as I learn to know if I should know it or it is actually obscure.
>> The KMC/DUP may have been useful for 2780 emulation with real hardware,
>> but it is ONLY there for simulator to simulator DECnet connections now.
> I wonder if it would actually work with 2780 emulation -- connecting the SIMH emulated DUP with whatever a 2780 ports looks like in a simulated IBM/360.
No.  The KMC emulation has some hooks for non-DECnet, but the DUP
doesn't.   It knows enough to parse the commands to go into the other
modes, but doesn't know what to do with them.

The KMC emulation is a functional emulator; although it requires a
sensible microcode file (COMMIOP/DUP) to be loaded, it doesn't execute
the microcode.  There's no point in emulating the KMC-11
microprocessor.  (The check for microcode version is partly so the OS
goes thru the load process, and partly so that if someone tries to load,
say COMMIOP/DZ ucode, the failure will be obvious.)  There are some
private hooks between the KMC and DUP emulations to make things work
reasonably efficiently.

DECnet uses DDCMP, which is a character oriented counted-length
protocol.  Bisync is a character-stuffing protocol.  The bit-stuffing
protocols (e.g. SDLC, X.25) are supported by the real KDP, but not by
the emulation.

The KDP emulation can be told to introduce CRC errors once in a while,
so you can watch error recovery work and enjoy the network management tools.

Extending the KMC emulation to deal with other ucodes and/or protocols
is certainly possible.  But non-trivial.  Happy coding.

I did test the KDP emulation with DECnet on the PDP-11 (rsx) as well as
VAX and the KS10.