[Simh] Multiple telnet ports in SimH to RSTS/E 9.6

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Dec 31 15:53:31 EST 2015

> On Dec 31, 2015, at 3:42 PM, Mark Pizzolato <Mark at infocomm.com> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Will Senn wrote:
>> On 12/31/15 1:52 PM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> KMC/DUP are used for the 2780 emulation feature, which is a rather
>>> obscure layered product -- I don't know anything about it.
>>
>> First, I should say that my knowledge of RSTS/E is limited to a half day of
>> trying it out. I appreciate your telling me that you don't know anything about
>> this particular device either. It may seem insignificant, but it helps me
>> categorize things as I learn to know if I should know it or it is actually obscure.
>
> The KMC/DUP may have been useful for 2780 emulation with real hardware,
> but it is ONLY there for simulator to simulator DECnet connections now.

I wonder if it would actually work with 2780 emulation -- connecting the SIMH emulated DUP with whatever a 2780 ports looks like in a simulated IBM/360.

As for DECnet, yes indeed.  Note though that RSTS/E does not support that combination for DECnet; the only DECnet devices it supports are DMC11 (from the start), DMV11 and DMP11 (V7.1 and up), Ethernet (V9.3 and up), and software DDCMP on terminal ports (not clearly supported but present if you dig enough (V9.6 to some extent, V10.0 in cleaner form).  So synchronous DDCMP is DMC and friends only (unless you count the Pro printer/console USART work I did as a midnight project in V9.6).

	paul