[Simh] Strange PDP-11 behavior

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Dec 30 07:50:33 EST 2015

Well, Bob definitely nailed why it was halting when set to PDP-11/23
mode. The LTC is the problem, obviously.

However, I think simh is wrong in doing it this way. The KDF11-AA manual
clearly documents that the CPU do handle the BEVENT signal, and traps to
100, unless you remove W4, so why simh pretends that an 11/23 do not
have an LTC is beyond me.
(See
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1123/EK-KDF11-UG-PR2_Mar79.pdf,
page 2-2)

So, that has been cleared up. I'd say that simh is wrong in not having
an LTC for the 11/23, and once that is changed, XXDP will run fine on
the 11/23 both in real life and in simh.

Next, the question of supported versions - I do not have a list, and
tend to try and run the latest version. However, in this case I think we
can clearly say that the version of XXDP was not the issue. And in fact,
V2.2 did run fine on the real hardware (not sure if you mentioned that
on the list).

The problems you've seen with some other CPUs and controllers are a
separate issue. Not sure if we can easily figure that one out. Do you,
by any chance, have a real DEC MSCP controller and some disks, that you
could test with as well? It might be that there are some issues with
some CPUs related to MSCP that cause XXDP to fail, as well as bugs in
XXDP itself.

	Johnny