[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

Christian Gauger-Cosgrove captainkirk359 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 12:26:43 EST 2015

On 21 December 2015 at 11:46,  <lists at openmailbox.org> wrote:
> That's right. I just didn't remember if that was also the case with MVS or
> just with OS/360.

There is also one other use of telnet consoles with Hercules that I
forgot about, and that's with the recent release of APL\360. The
"mvt4apl" distribution is distributed with a modified version of PuTTY
0.60 (current version of PuTTY is 0.66 for those curious) to act like
a 2741 or 1052 with an APL typeball.

> Absolutely correct and point taken. I'm suspicious about the "3.7"
> designation but putting that aside, it's correct that you need a console
> printer to do a sysgen of MVS 3.8J. Of course virtually nobody does that
> over Hercules because various Turnkey and installed system images are
> available, but if they do a sysgen (and I did) you will need one.

Yeah, it's interesting/neat that the "starter" systems for both MVS
3.8J and OS/360 21.8F are actually the previous versions of the
operating system.

>From the starter system for the MVS 3.8 gen: IEA101A SPECIFY SYSTEM
PARAMETERS FOR RELEASE 03.70.VS2
>From the starter system for the OS/360 gen: IEA101A  SPECIFY SYSTEM
PARAMETERS FOR RELEASE 21.0  MFT

And yeah no one really needs to do a sysgen, but I find it fun to do.
And more interesting than just firing up a turnkey.

Also, if I recall correctly the MVS Turnkey 3 and Turnkey 4- use one
of the "integrated" consoles (1052-C or 3215-C) for HAO. For e.g.
automatically entering the VSAM master catalogue password and the
like.

> If you would have said that in the first place I would have understood you
> a lot better!
>
> I don't know if anybody else is aware of this. Perhaps you should report it
> to one of the Hercules maintainers?

It is a known bug. I would have said that earlier it just is
<redated>ing impossible to search Yahoo groups with their new
(horrible) interface. Apparently it won't be fixed because the fix
would break other things.

>> Anyway this has gone way past the point of being related to SIMH; and
>> in reality is a non-issue. A quick "TL;DR" as the internet neologism
>> would be: Hercules has a telnet negotiation bug that means PuTTY can't
>> connect to it.
>
> Yeah but this whole thing started when you said
>
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 15:44:26 -0500
> Christian Gauger-Cosgrove <captainkirk359 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The one and only problem I've found with PuTTY is that for some reason
>> it's telnet is not compatible with the Hercules (IBM System/370 and up
>> mainframe emulator; not SIMH project) emulator.
>
> which seemed to suggest Putty was at fault and also that you didn't know
> what was wrong whereas now you clarified

Yeah that's on me since trying to navigate Yahoo Groups now is
horrible. If I recall the last mention of the bug was in 2013. But I
know it's been discussed before that (which is where the "won't fix,
will break things" came from).

Anyway, PuTTY works excellently with SIMH. If anyone wants I have a
specific configuration I use for connecting to classic computers and
I'd be willing to share the config file if anyone wants.

Cheers,
Christian
--
Christian M. Gauger-Cosgrove