[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sat Dec 19 16:01:37 EST 2015

On 2015-12-19 21:57, Will Senn wrote:

> On 12/19/15 1:42 PM, Random832 wrote:
>> Either's VT100 emulation should be acceptable, though
>
> Latest update, taking bits and pieces from folks comments...
>
> I started Terminal and set the terminal variable to VT100 then started a
> new bash:
> TERM=vt100 exec bash

I hope you understand that the TERM environment variable in Unix don't
actually do anything, except inform running programs that they should
try to work the terminal using VT100 control sequences.

RT-11 do not know, nor care, about a Unix environment variable. So that
thing is actually totally meaningless here. :-)

> started the rt-11 simulation
> pdp11 boot.ini
>
> then tried ked somefile
>
> I was able to use fn-F1 as the Gold Key, but I couldn't figure out how
> to get Command. I then hooked up a regular mac keyboard to the laptop
> (it has a numeric keypad) and was able to get both fn-F1 and numeric
> keypad 7 to work as GOLD-COMMAND. This was encouraging. I went back to
> the laptop keyboard and was able to use fn-F1 as GOLD and then ESC-O-w
> as command, remembering y'alls advice. This was workable, but not ideal.
> So, I took a look at the keyboard tab in Terminal preferences and was
> able to assign ESC-o-w to a key and voila, rational keyboard :).
>
> Thanks for all of the tips and pointers. I am pretty pleased with the
> way things are working now and have a much greater level of
> understanding of how to figure these sorts of issues out going forward.
> I am glad that it works with a regular terminal because copy and paste
> and such in the host is much simpler than with xterm or another emulator.

Excellent. More knowledge is always useful.

	Johnny