[Simh] GOLD Keys and such

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Fri Dec 18 19:58:00 EST 2015

Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> writes:
>> On Dec 18, 2015, at 7:21 PM, Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In working with the simulator and ancient OSes (in this case,
>> RT-11XM 5.3), I am coming across key-combinations that are beyond my
>> ken, such as GOLD-COMMAND and Line-Feed. I think I may be able to
>> figure something out for line-feed (CTRL-J, maybe?), but I have no
>> idea how to generate a GOLD-COMMAND keypress. Is there a simple
>> solution, or a known standard way to make another key (say F5) serve
>> as the GOLD-COMMAND key?
>
> "Gold" is a reference to a key on the WPS version of DEC terminals;
> that software used a lot of keystroke combinations where the gold key
> was the first keystroke.  It's the top left key on the function keypad
> of a VT52, so whatever that translates into is what you need here.
> Command is also a (standard) key on the VT52 keypad; check a VT52
> manual, I don't have one handy unfortunately.

ESC P on a VT52. You should probably use a VT52 emulator, since
if it expects these it will probably expect others. Some VT100
emulators, including xterm and putty, can be put in VT52 mode by
printing ESC [?2l to them; print ESC < to change it back. On
most emulators you can use either F1 or Num Lock (or both) as
the PF1/Gold key.

Some of the text of the Wikipedia article on the Gold key seems
to imply that some software directly supported the VT100 (and
therefore would expect ESC O P for the Gold key). Some terminal
emulators will output these codes for F1-F4, others opt to use
different codes.