[Simh] EXT :Re: PDP-10 simulation: TENEX

Richard Cornwell skyvis at sky-visions.com
Thu Apr 30 21:18:04 EDT 2015

On Thu, 30 Apr 2015 17:05:41 -0400
Phil Budne <phil at ultimate.com> wrote:

> > I don't think anyone has bootable TENEX media.  It would be a labor
> > of love to try to cross-compile TENEX under TOPS-20 on a Toad-2,
> > then build a boot program for the KI that could read it in from
> > disk.  At least the file system layout is similar to TOPS-20.
>
> Do KI TENEX sources exist??  They had to simulate the BBN paging box
> (using the KI page tables as a "Translation Lookaside Buffer").
>
> Someone was working on KA (and KI) simulation in SIMH (to bring the
> conversation back around) and ISTR had TOPS-10 6.03 running.

  That would be me. :-) It runs 6.03 and 5.03. The KI needs 2 more
  instructions to finish, before I can test it. Does anyone have VMSER
  for 6.03?

  I've been busy working on getting Scope 3.0 and 3.1 up and running
  under DtCyber so I have not been playing with the KA/KI simulator. I
  also have Monitor TS 1.19 and 4.05 transcribed. Right now my machine
  does not do DecTape so I can't run these older monitors.

  For those who are interested I managed to find a copy of the source
  for CDC Scope 3.1, and also a hacked copy of the Fortran RUN compiler
  for COS. Since neither has copyrights I believe I can make them
  available. RUN is sort of broken on COS.

> With a simulated KA (and peripherals), the SIMH "TOPS-20" KS10 paging
> code probably gives you a big running start at the BBN paging box
> (which ISTR I have a document on).

   ISTR seeing some KI code for Tenex that used the KI pager to
   simulate the BBN paging box.

> > We've probably bored the broader audience enough.  Talk to you soon
> > in private e-mail.
>
> I'm not bored!!

   Me either, been following alone. :-)

   BTW, the KA/KI simulator was written so that it would model the
   hardware so the code is not the neatest. I am working on cleaning it
   up and emulating the results rather then the algorithm.

Rich

Richard Cornwell
skyvis at sky-visions.com
http://sky-visions.com