[Simh] EXT :Re: PDP-10 simulation: DEUNA support help needed

Rhialto rhialto at falu.nl
Mon Apr 27 14:43:05 EDT 2015

On Mon 27 Apr 2015 at 14:27:22 -0400, Timothe Litt wrote:
> Trying to port TCP utilities to the -10 would be non-trivial.  Somewhere
> there IS a C compiler for the -10.  But 36-bit words; 6, 7, 8 & 9 bit
> chars;  location 0 being  a valid AC address and a few other endearing
> attributes of the -10 do not make porting easy.  (Although the C
> language in theory can deal with it.)

For a while there was an attempt to make a port of NetBSD to the PDP-10.
Its goal was (partly) I think to shake out various assumptions in the
code that were less than portable. However the attempt was never
completed, and at some point the code was dropped.

> IP for TOPS-20 would be easier - except that there was no ethernet
> support in Phase III.  And the KS TOPS-20 stopped there.  One could

TOPS-20 on klh has TCP (and hence IP) in the Panda distribution.  I
improved klh to use tap/bridge devices (much like currently present in
simh). Too bad there is nobody maintaining simh to integrate my patches
officially.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'