[Simh] EXT :Re: PDP-10 simulation: DEUNA support help needed

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Mon Apr 27 14:27:22 EDT 2015

> On 27-Apr-15 11:36, Hittner, David T (IS) wrote:
> I do agree that 10/20 networking would be a desirable goal.
We did have the KMC/DUP working in SimH for both the -10 and -20 a
couple of years ago - there were some loose ends between the KMC
emulation and the DUP emulator that were open when I was diverted.   It
isn't a simple device, and it was emulated using a hybrid model of a KMC
with private APIs into the DUPs.  It knows it's talking DDCMP.

Using a VAX (or an -11) as a way station provides a path to the IP world.

> You could modify an existing SIMH device of one of the DECNET-supported point-to-point network device interfaces already supported  by TOPS to 'fake' the point-to point link over Ethernet by wrapping the data in an Ethernet packet and filtering the Ethernet traffic down so that it looks like a point-to-point link.

Wrapping ethernet onto a point-to-point link won't work well.
point-to-point links and broadcast links are quite different; DECnet
knows the difference at the circuit and routing layers.  It would be a
LOT less effort to finish & debug UNASER.  (Speaking as the author of
UNASER, the person who made TOPS-10 support DECnet Phase IV & someone
who has debugged every level of the DECnet protocol stack.)

Adding LAT support to DEUNA is easy - once one has DECnet Phase IV.
TOPS-10 already has a LAT driver, and it knows how to talk to NML and
the DECnet circuit interfaces.  Except for the small matter of running
out of exec memory in 7.04.  7.03 would be easier, as I had DECnet code
in a pseudo-section then.

The good news is that finishing UNASER means there are no timing loops
to worry about;  that is, considering what all else needs to be fixed,
any of those bugs would be lost in the wash.

IP would not be trivial.  DEC had no TOPS-10 protocol stack for that,
and no utilities.  It could be done in user mode with a UUO interface to
the circuit.  But I'd stop at DECnet (+maybe ANF-ethernet & LAT).  It's
easy enough to use a VAX as a waystation to IP...  In fact, one could
adapt the Phase III PMR library on VAX to proxy connections to IP.  Just
a small matter of translating DAP to FTP; NRT to Telnet etc on the fly ...

Trying to port TCP utilities to the -10 would be non-trivial.  Somewhere
there IS a C compiler for the -10.  But 36-bit words; 6, 7, 8 & 9 bit
chars;  location 0 being  a valid AC address and a few other endearing
attributes of the -10 do not make porting easy.  (Although the C
language in theory can deal with it.)  That compiler did not generate
very good code, and there wasn't much of an RTL.  You don't want to go
there.  Really.  You could go thru the -20 utilities - yes, there was
mail, FTP, telnet, DNS - and convert all the command JSYS to GLXLIB and
all the IO JSYSs to UUOs.  (MS mail would be easy as DECnet/ANF version
was ported to the -10; the others, projects.)  You're talking a serious
project here.

IP for TOPS-20 would be easier - except that there was no ethernet
support in Phase III.  And the KS TOPS-20 stopped there.  One could
emulate an AN22, which is yet another KMC-11 + microcode.  Doc for that
is surprisingly hard to come by.  It's not a simple device.

I really was on the the easiest path when I started UNASER....t'wasn't a
random choice.

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.