[Simh] Unichannel

Paul Hardy 2 paulhardy2 at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 24 06:15:37 EDT 2015

In an earlier message I said:
"..., I did use one of these XVM-15 hybrids in the late 1970s. A ‘standard’ PDP-15 was the host for my first paid software work when I joined Laser-Scan as a programmer in 1975, and I wrote some diagnostics for Sweepnik (a nuclear physics image scanner). Laser-Scan soon moved to a PDP11/45 as main machine, but continued to ship PDP-15s for a while. The last of these was an XVM-15, which arrived from DEC with its chassis rather bent, but still worked OK. I ran some commissioning tests on it, then we shipped it off with a Sweepnik, I think to the University of Cairo in Egypt."

That was the only one I came across, and I got the feeling then that it was a rarity then.

--
Paul  Hardy
Email:   paul at the paulhardy.net domain, web: www.paulhardy.net

 Bob Supnik asked:

As preparation for an eventual implementation, I'm writing a paper on the workings of the UC15, as determined from the schematics. I've answered the technical questions, but I'm left with a business question:
was it a commercial success? The online census of 18b systems dates from '72, before the UC15 was shipped, so it's no help. Of the surviving
PDP15 systems, Mike Ross's pair are XVM Unichannel systems; it's impossible to tell what the Computer History Museum has; I don't know what other 15s are in private hands, so there's inadequate data to draw a conclusion.

Anyone have information on this aspect of the Unichannel?

/Bob