[Simh] More on trying to run a Backup job

Timothe Litt litt at ieee.org
Fri Apr 10 03:03:59 EDT 2015

> 22:52:04        Device MTA000  -- User Requested Write-Locked Volumes --
>                 User: OPERATOR [1,2] Job #2Volume Set:MTA-VN8KL8
>  Volid:APTTAP

You requested a write-locked volume in the mount, and PULSAR (GALAXY) is
refusing to accept a write-enabled tape.

Use attach -R in simh to remove the write ring (make the tape
write-protected/read-only).

Then the identify command will succeed in reassigning the tape to the
mount..

The recognize that you tried after the identify is unnecessary (and will
fail after the user has the drive).

This communication may not represent my employer's views,
if any, on the matters discussed.